Welcome to GroovaRoo Dance™ Sacramento
America's Original Prenatal & Babywearing Dance crew!
In our GroovaRoo Dance™ classes, we hope to create
a safe, sacred, and soulful dance experience for you and your baby.
GroovaRoo is more than a dance or exercise class (although you will get a good workout). GroovaRoo is a community of fun-loving folks who come together each week to move and connect with their babies and one another to soulful, feel-good tunes. Sacramento GroovaRoo classes are all-levels, open to all caregivers, and are taught by certified instructor, Jillian Van Ness. No prior dance or babywearing experience necessary.
We currently offer three classes a week.
Come try a class!
We guarantee you'll walk out feeling even better than when you came in.
Pregnancy is the perfect time to start moving and bonding with baby in utero! In the womb, mother and baby move to the same heartbeat. Dancing with your baby is a natural extension of this vital, rhythmic synchronization. This low impact form of dance is ideal for pregnancy, and we think you'll love connecting with other new and expecting families. By the time baby arrives, you'll already have a circle of friends and a support network to plug right in to.
- Bond more deeply with your baby
- Improve baby's sensory-motor development
- Get a low-impact aerobic workout
- Socialize with other families
- Gain confidence as a new parent
- Have fun!
- Baby must be at least 6-weeks-old. There is no maximum age or weight-limit.
- Mom must be cleared for exercise (post-birth) by her doctor.
- Must have access to one of the approved carriers*
* If you cannot immediately purchase or borrow an approved carrier to bring with you, please contact Jillian ASAP to see about borrowing one from the library during class.
*CARRIERS APPROVED FOR CLASS
- Soft Structure (e.g. Tula or Ergo)
- Stretchy (e.g. Moby)
- Meh Dai (e.g. Babyhawk)
Woven wraps are also okay for class if you are very familiar/comfortable using them. Baby Bjorns and ring slings are strictly prohibited as they do not offer baby and/or caregiver adequate support for dancing.
East Sac and Roseville Class Schedule
TIMES & locations
(Please join our Facebook Group for up to date class info, cancellations, special events, etc.)
Mondays 10:45am-12:00pm @ Herself Moms EAST SAC
Thursdays 5:30pm-6:45pm @ Herself Moms EAST SAC
Occasional weekend classes and potlucks also offered. Next one= Sunday March 26th @ 12:45pm in East Sac.
Please RSVP to each class via the GroovaRoo™ Sacramento Facebook "Events" page whenever possible. Otherwise, just show up!
Payment must be received prior to the start of class. Punchcards are valid at all locations.
- Drop In = $16 (Cash or check only. Exact change is appreciated.)
- 4 class pass = $56 ($14/class)
- 8 class pass = $92 ($11.50/class)
- 12 class pass = $126 ($10.50 class)
SAMPLE CLASS STRUCTURE: 75-MINUTES
Please plan to arrive EARLY so you and baby can sign-in, fill out the release form, and get settled by the start of class!
10:30am --- Relatively new to babywearing? Come 15-minutes before class on the 1st and 3rd weeks of the month, and one of our local babywearing experts will help you get properly fitted with an approved carrier. Bring your own or email Jillian ahead of time to see about borrowing one.
10:45am --- Class begins with an opening circle where you'll learn all the ins and outs of this style of dance and what to expect during class.
11:00am --- Let's dance! We'll warm-up together before moving into our choreography for the day. Depending on time and choreography, we'll learn 2-3 dances each class.
12:00pm --- Class ends with a cool down, closing circle, announcements and some time to mix n' mingle.
RULES FOR DANCING SAFELY WITH YOUR BABY
- We always wear baby facing in while dancing for head and back support. Be sure baby maintains a spread-squat ("M" shape) with knee-to-knee support/coverage.
- Keep one hand on baby's neck/head at all times while dancing.
- Wear baby high and tight. We want baby to sit above our center of gravity, be close enough to kiss, and have no gaps or separation when we bend forward.
- Open airway. You should be able to place two fingers between babies chin and chest at all times to maintain an open airway. Also, no covers or hoods over baby's head during class.
- Temperature and hydration.We will take lots of breaks (for hydration and carrier checks) and monitor baby's temperature closely throughout. Please dress yourself and baby in lightweight, breathable clothing to prevent overheating.